Thursday, May 19, 2011

miss rosie
 
when I watch you 
wrapped up like garbage 
sitting, surrounded by the smell 
of too old potato peels 
or
when I watch you 
in your old man's shoes 
with the little toe cut out 
sitting, waiting for your mind 
like next week's grocery 
I say
when I watch you
you wet brown bag of a woman 
who used to be the best looking gal in Georgia
used to be called the Georgia Rose
I stand up
through your destruction
I stand up
 
lucille clifton 
 
 


dreamer

like dandelions in the wind, 
she dances in the summer sun.
when the stars come out to play, 
her mind drifts off with ease. 
she lays in fields passing time
as seconds wind by, tick-tock.
clouds pass over one by one
like white sheep in her dreams.
her mind, blank as a canvas, fills
with hopes of one day being free.
a prisoner, against her will
pretends she's high as a bird
flying in that summer sun,
in and out of those stars,
like those flowers in the wind,
free as one could ever be.

nikai boyarko

1 comment:

  1. I really liked how you used the simile “blank as a canvas” in your poem because it gave the reader an image of what you were trying to represent. Especially since although it may be blank now it could mean that it just hasn’t been painted on yet and will in the future. Also, I liked how in your last couple of lines you use the bird as a symbol of freedom and described its flight. Another element that I enjoyed was the good rhythm you had throughout the whole poem.

    ReplyDelete