Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Sonnet 138

When my love swears that she is made of truth
I do believe her, though I know she lies,
That she might think me some untutor'd youth,
Unlearned in the world's false subtleties.
Thus vainly thinking that she thinks me young.
Although she knows my days are past the best,
Simply I credit her false speaking tongue:
On both side thus is simple truth suppress'd:
But wherefore says she not she is unjust?
And wherefore say not I that I am old?
Oh! love's best habit is in seeming trust,
And age in love loves not to have years told:
Therefore I lie with her and she with me,
And in our faults by lies we flatter'd be.

-William Shakespeare

Even though this is the most famous sonnet written by William Shakespeare, it is the most profound to me. I love how dark the message is because it does not seem typical of Shakespeare. He is talking about how he and his "Dark Lady" both continue to lie about their faith toward one another. She is unfaithful, but keeps swearing that she is not. He, in return, sees is fit that he is also unfaithful toward her. It portrays a corrupt relationship that embodies everything a relationship should not. The pun on "lies," although a bit crude, is very striking. It explains the understanding that the narrator has of the affairs happening behind his back, but his only response it to do the same to his lover.

No comments:

Post a Comment