Thursday, May 19, 2011

Simile

What did we say to each other
that now we are as the deer
who walk in single file
with heads high
with ears forward
with eyes watchful
with hooves always placed on firm ground
in whose limbs there is latent flight


-N. Scott Momaday


 
Rain

What could they have done
that now we are as the rain
that falls in single file
with cool, quick drops
with nowhere to go but down
with insignificant paths
with sounds that no one can tell apart
in whose journey comes to a sudden end?

-Nikai Boyarko

3 comments:

  1. Nikai-- This poem is almost depressing after the last one I read. By comparing us to the rain with "insignificant paths" it seems as though ones journey in life does not matter. Or when you say "whose journey omes to a sudden end" it points out the fact that your life could end at any moment. Eventhough it's somewhat upsetting I still really enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nikai I am drowning in a pool of my own tears right now. Although it depressed me, I thought your poem was very well written. Your comparison of people to rain gives a very pessimistic tone to the poem. The idea of having "nowhere to go but down" is far from inspiring. This poem almost reminds me of Brave New World because of the sense of a lack of identity. It's a neat poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this poem you created! The depth you created by stating that we have "nowhere to go but down" and "with insignificant" paths really makes people wonder about their own life. I also really liked the question you posed at the end, because it really makes a person think.
    Emma

    ReplyDelete